Sunday, May 4, 2008

When "don't like" isn't strong enough.

My parents raised me to never use the word "hate" and I generally abide by their instructions. Except in the case of "I hate the Cardinals" or "I hate Clemson," I rarely use the word. But I did think of three instances this weekend where I either hate a tangible thing or I hate an action that people do, so I thought I would share them with you.

Of course, things like terrorists, dudes on To Catch a Predator, cigarettes and carnies are a given so I don't need to include them here.

1. I hate it when people stand directly in front of the baggage return at the airport, blocking the view from everyone else. Would it not make more sense to stand back 5 feet so that everyone could see their bags? Undoubtedly, you're just going to have to move out of my way when I have to pull my bag off the little luggage car wash. Just move out of the way because I'm ready to go home!

2. I hate it when people don't return shopping carts to their proper place in parking lots. This weekend I saw someone leave their cart on one of those little parking lot medians even though there was a cart return about 20 feet away. Would it kill this idiot to do the minimum wage worker a favor and return the cart like a member of society? Drives me nuts!

3. I hate bamboo. It is in my back yard. I spend several hours at least once a month in warm weather digging that crap up out of the ground. It never stops growing. It never dies. It is of the devil. I hate it so much that it makes me wish that I never bought this house...almost. What possessed the previous owners to plant it, I'll never know. They must have had their Bad Idea Jeans on at the time. If anyone has some super bamboo killing tips, please share!

What do others do that drives you nuts?

10 comments:

Kristin B said...

Buy a panda.

Rachel said...

I hate it when people park in clearly marked "no parking" zones. It is usually because they're just running in to pick up Chinese Food or maybe all the other good spots were taken. But come on folks! Find the ones with white lines on either side and park there! Now I've already got my blood pressure up first thing Monday morning!

Anonymous said...

I have several new hates... I hate it when people try to exit out of the subway gate that I am trying to enter. You see me going through, pick another gate. I hate it when people assume I am a bad driver because I have out of state plates. Just wait and see how bad I am, don't assume it.

Curtis said...

i guess this means that this blog has some mild mannered, easy going readers, seeing as only two people have shared their innermost thoughts. that's probably a good thing for society but it's not that entertaining!

Anonymous said...

Ok, here I go. I hate when you go to the post office and no one else is in there and you to go to one of 3 attendants. You realize you need to fill out a form (one word needed on each form) and they make you move all of your items away from the desk in case a line forms while you are filling the form out (one word forms)! It has to be a control thing for them! And I know what going postal means now too! :)

Flour Guy said...

I hate drug advertisements on TV. I hate when the news dudes use the word "alleged" inappropriately.

Anonymous said...

I hate pandas. Yeah, I said it, Kristin.

Anonymous said...

I hate it when I'm expected to stop surfing a friends blog and do something productive at work.

The Roaming Southerner said...

I agree, buy a panda....

I hate the baggage claim hoverers too...
worse though: I hate people who walk to slow in front of you but won't let you pass (also the ones who walk right on your butt but won't pass)...
I also hate the p-word for underwear...it just skeeves me out
Oh, and I hate being called out on my unproductiveness at work while commenting on your blog...just saying.

susan said...

Two words, Kudzu and Ivy, Bamboo's got nothing on these Satan Spahn. Every house I have owned I have had to deal with one or the other. Currently on house #3. I need to get out of the south.

Comcast, nothing gets my blood pressure up more than dealing with these simpletons.

Contributors