Thursday, May 15, 2008

UPDATE: A Meaningful Surprise

I an amazing surprise in the mail today, something that was completely unexpected and that says so much about the sender.

My favorite contemporary author is Jeff Shaara. He writes fiction novels that are based on major historical events. He has written about the the American Revolution, the Mexican War, the Civil War and World War I. His most recent book, The Steel Wave, came out this week and is his second book in a trilogy about World War II. And even though I have not read any of it yet, I encourage you to check it out. If you like history, you will not be disappointed by any of his novels.

His work has been a big part of my life. I studied history in college because I was so fascinated by the world that he created. I continued studying history in graduate school because of the passion that I discovered inside myself for research and writing. And I know it is not very romantic, but my first date with Kristina was to a Jeff Shaara book signing in Charleston (we went to Fort Sumter too). Unfortunately, by the time we made it to the store, Jeff had already left to go visit the Hunley (Putting a torpedo on a stick? Seriously? Come on guys!). So, as you can see, he has been a part of my life since college.

A couple of years ago I contacted Jeff via email and mentioned that if he was interested, I would like to send him electronic scans of my grandfather's letters home from Europe in '44-'45. He said that he would love to take a look at them so I sent them on. My grandfather, Pa, was just like every other GI: humble and scared but brave and bound by his duty. I thought that Jeff might be able to use them as a source for his WWII novels. As it turns out, he did.

Jeff sent me an autographed copy of The Steel Wave, personally thanking me for the use of Pa's letters. I am even acknowledged in the research sources section of the novel. For a fan of Jeff's and a history nerd, this means so much to me. It will probably be hard to tell what he was able to use from the Callaway letters but even if he was only able to gain a small ounce of my grandfather's character, then that is enough for my dad and me. It is cool for me to be mentioned in his book but all I did was mail in a cd. William H. Callaway really deserves the recognition. I am honored that his story can be a part of a book that millions of people will read. It is very cool for my family.

Thank you, Jeff. I hope to see you on June 7 in Chicago at the book signing. I can't wait to dive into The Steel Wave!

UPDATE: When I first got the book, I rushed through the intro and saw my same at the end of the Sources section. Yesterday as I gave the beginning a thorough read, Shaara had listed the key Americans, Germans and British whose works had impacted the book. Lt. William H. Callaway is listed with the likes of Eisenhower, Bradley and Patton. That's pretty awesome. Thank you, Jeff.

8 comments:

Flour Guy said...

Pa not only lives on in our hearts, now he also lives on in print. Thanks, son!

Rachel said...

Curtis- what an amazing story to have forever. You and your family must feel so honored. I feel honored to know such a well rounded guy whose previous post about a Chicken Dog had me rolling laughing so hard that my eyes filled with tears and whose next post has me so filled with joy and awe that my eyes again filled with tears! You rock!

Curtis said...

It's good to know that my loyal reader is enjoying the recent posts. We're all about diversified posts here at The Callaway Family.

I have another planned post for the weekend that will hopefully amaze you. It will pertain to Chicken Dog's amazing skills with a frisbee. Stay tuned!

The Roaming Southerner said...

THAT IS AWESOME! It is really neat that you were able to have such a good contact with him.
Way to honor your grandfather!

ooh, and I found this blog you might like: http://www.busydadblog.com/

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! What a cool story to be able to share with he who must named one day.

Anonymous said...

What a cool way to honor your grandfather... can't wait to read the book!

By the way, tell Shaara that if he ever decides to write another Civil War book, that we know a couple of guys with a really sharp website on the 20th Maine and the 5th South Carolina...

Curtis said...

I'll definitely tell him about the web site. I've also got a good idea for the title of his next Civil War book: Harvest of Death

Anonymous said...

Wow man!! That is stinking awesome!!!

Contributors